•Use to determine presence of antibodies to exogenous insulin analogues. Testing not recommended for patients receiving insulin >2 weeks, as insulin antibody formation may occur.
•If pursuing antibody testing to determine autoimmune diabetes mellitus, perform at least 2 antibody tests. Other antibody tests include Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Antibody (2001771), IA-2 Antibody (0050202), Islet Cell Cytoplasmic Antibody, IgG (0050138), and Zinc Transporter 8 Antibody (2006196).
•Do not use to differentiate type 1 versus type 2 DM, for most cases.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube or plain red.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer 0.5 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Plasma. Hemolyzed or lipemic specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 2 months
0.0-0.4 Kronus Units/mL
A value of greater than 0.4 Kronus Units/mL is considered positive for Insulin Antibody.
Kronus Units are arbitrary. Kronus Units=U/mL
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- anti-insulin antibody
- Human Insulin Antibodies
- insulin AB
- Insulin Antibodies, Serum