- Patient Preparation
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer 1 mL CSF to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens types other than CSF. Contaminated, heat-inactivated or hemolyzed specimens.
- Indicate source on test request form.
- Ambient: 8 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year
0.90-1.09 IV: Equivocal - Questionable presence of IgG antibodies. Repeat testing in 10-14 days may be helpful.
1.10 IV or greater: Positive - IgG antibody to HSV detected which may indicate a current or past HSV infection.
Fourfold or greater rise in CSF antibodies to herpes on specimens at least 4 weeks apart are found in 74-94% of patients with herpes encephalitis. Specificity of the test based on a single CSF testing is not established. Presently PCR is the primary means of establishing a diagnosis of herpes encephalitis.
See Compliance Statement B: www.aruplab.com/CS
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0050394||HSV 1/2 Antibody Screen IgG, CSF|
- Herpes Simplex Antibodies, IgG
- Herpes Simplex Serology, Serum HSV 1,2
- HSV 1, 2 IgG
- HSV 1,2
- HSV CSF IgG