Aids in the evaluation of suspected hypogonadism in men with a total testosterone level at the lower limit of the normal range. Not recommended for use in women and children.
Total Testosterone and SHBG are measured and free testosterone is estimated from these measurements.
- Patient Preparation
- Collect specimen between 6-10 a.m.
- Serum separator tube or green (lithium heparin).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.4 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- EDTA plasma.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 2 months
14-15 years: 3-138 pg/mL
16-17 years: 38-173 pg/mL
18 years and older: 47-244 pg/mL
Tanner Stage IV: 35-169 pg/mL
Tanner Stage V: 41-239 pg/mL
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0070113||Testosterone, Free Calculation||2991-8|
- Free testosterone
- serum testosterone free