Total Testosterone and SHBG are measured and free testosterone is estimated from these measurements.
- Patient Preparation
- Collect specimen between 6-10 a.m.
- Serum separator tube or green (lithium heparin).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.4 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- EDTA plasma.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 2 months
14-15 years: 3-138 pg/mL
16-17 years: 38-173 pg/mL
18 years and older: 47-244 pg/mL
Tanner Stage IV: 35-169 pg/mL
Tanner Stage V: 41-239 pg/mL
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0070113||Testosterone, Free Calculation|
- Free testosterone
- serum testosterone free