This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Supine: 1. Specimen should be obtained between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. (after at least two hours in supine position); 2. Normal sodium diet (100-200 mEq/day) for at least three days; 3. Take no medications known to affect renin-aldosterone system.
Upright: 1. Specimen should be obtained before noon (after at least two hours in upright position; seated or standing); 2. Normal sodium diet (100-200 mEq/day) for at least three days; 3. Take no medications known to affect renin-aldosterone system.
Contact Medical Director if more information is needed.
- Lavender (EDTA) or pink (K2EDTA). Do not collect in refrigerated tubes.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate plasma from cells. Transfer 2 mL plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube and freeze immediately. (Min: 1.2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- CRITICAL FROZEN. Separate specimens must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Serum. Specimens collected in citrate, heparin, or oxalate. Hemolyzed or refrigerated specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 6 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: 1 month
|Adult, normal sodium diet
||Children, normal sodium diet, supine:
||Children, normal sodium diet, upright:
|Supine: 0.2-1.6 ng/mL/hr
||Newborn (1-7 days): 2.0-35.0 ng/mL/hr
||0-3 years: Not Available
|Upright: 0.5-4.0 ng/mL/hr
||Cord blood: 4.0-32.0 ng/mL/hr
||4-5 years: Less than or equal to 15 ng/mL/hr
| ||1-12 months: 2.4-37.0 ng/mL/hr
||6-10 years: Less than or equal to 17 ng/mL/hr
| ||13 months-3 years:1.7-11.2 ng/mL/hr
||11-15 years: Less than or equal to 16 ng/mL/hr
| ||4-5 years:1.0-6.5 ng/mL/hr
| ||6-10 years: 0.5-5.9 ng/mL/hr
| ||11-15 years: 0.5-3.3 ng/mL/hr
Plasma renin activity measures enzyme ability to convert angiotensinogen to angiotensin I and is limited by the availability of angiotensinogen. Plasma renin activity is not an accurate indicator of enzyme activity when angiotensinogen is decreased.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, please click the sidebar link to access the Interface Map.
- Plasma Renin Activity
- Renin Activity, Plasma