- Patient Preparation
- Supine: 1. Specimen should be obtained between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. (after at least two hours in supine position); 2. Normal sodium diet (100-200 mEq/day) for at least three days; 3. Take no medications known to affect renin-aldosterone system.
Upright: 1. Specimen should be obtained before noon (after at least two hours in upright position; seated or standing); 2. Normal sodium diet (100-200 mEq/day) for at least three days; 3. Take no medications known to affect renin-aldosterone system.
Contact Medical Director if more information is needed.
- From either a supine or upright patient, Lavender (EDTA) or pink (K2EDTA). Do not collect in refrigerated tubes.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate plasma from cells. Transfer 2 mL plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube and freeze immediately. (Min: 1.2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- CRITICAL FROZEN. Separate specimens must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Serum. Specimens collected in citrate, heparin, or oxalate. Hemolyzed specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 6 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: 1 month
|Adult, normal sodium diet||Children, normal sodium diet, supine:||Children, normal sodium diet, upright:|
|Supine: 0.2-1.6 ng/mL/hr||Newborn (1-7 days): 2.0-35.0 ng/mL/hr||0-3 years: Not Available|
|Upright: 0.5-4.0 ng/mL/hr||Cord blood: 4.0-32.0 ng/mL/hr||4-5 years: Less than or equal to 15 ng/mL/hr|
|1-12 months: 2.4-37.0 ng/mL/hr||6-10 years: Less than or equal to 17 ng/mL/hr|
|13 months-3 years:1.7-11.2 ng/mL/hr||11-15 years: Less than or equal to 16 ng/mL/hr|
|4-5 years:1.0-6.5 ng/mL/hr|
|6-10 years: 0.5-5.9 ng/mL/hr|
|11-15 years: 0.5-3.3 ng/mL/hr|
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- Plasma Renin Activity
- Renin Activity, Plasma