Limited utility in determining manganese exposure. Whole blood measurements (0099272) are recommended for determining recent, active exposure.
Quantitative Inductively Coupled Plasma-Mass Spectrometry
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patients should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, and non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician). High concentrations of iodine may interfere with elemental testing. Abstinence from iodine-containing medications or contrast agents for at least 1 month prior to collecting specimens for elemental testing is recommended.
- 24-hour or random urine collection. Specimen must be collected in a plastic container. ARUP studies indicate that refrigeration of urine alone, during and after collection, preserves specimens adequately, if tested within 14 days of collection.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer an 8 mL aliquot from a well-mixed collection to ARUP Trace Element-Free Transport Tubes (ARUP supply #43116). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 1 mL) Record total volume and collection time interval on transport tube and on test request form.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Refrigerated. Also acceptable: Room temperature or frozen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Urine collected within 48 hours after administration of a gadolinium (Gd) containing contrast media (may occur with MRI studies). Acid preserved urine.
- Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|Manganese, Urine (24-hour)||0.0-2.0µg/d|
|Manganese per gram of creatinine||No reference interval (µg/g crt)|
|Creatinine, Urine-per 24h|
Urine manganese values do not correlate well with exposure or adverse effects.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0020207||Creatinine, Urine - per volume|
|0020208||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h|
|0025043||Manganese, Urine ug/gCRT|
|0025071||Manganese, Urine ug/L|
|0025072||Manganese, Urine ug/day|
- Manganese/Creatinine, Random, Urine