Useful as an indicator of acute toxicity. May be useful as an indicator of deficiency in conjunction with Zinc, Serum or Plasma (0020097).
Quantitative Inductively Coupled Plasma-Mass Spectrometry
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patients should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, and non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician). High concentrations of iodine may interfere with elemental testing. Abstinence from iodine-containing medications or contrast agents for at least 1 month prior to collecting specimens for elemental testing is recommended.
- 24-hour or random urine collection. Specimen must be collected in a plastic container. ARUP studies indicate that refrigeration of urine alone, during and after collection, preserves specimens adequately, if tested within 14 days of collection.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer an 8 mL aliquot from a well-mixed collection to ARUP Trace Element-Free Transport Tubes (ARUP supply #43116). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 1 mL) Record total volume and collection time interval on transport tube and on test request form.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Refrigerated. Also acceptable: Room temperature or frozen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Urine collected within 48 hours after administration of a gadolinium (Gd) containing contrast media (may occur with MRI studies). Acid preserved urine.
- Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year
| ||Zinc, Urine||15-120 µg/dL
| ||Zinc, Urine (24-hour)||150-1200 µg/d
| ||Zinc per gram of creatinine||No reference interval (µg/g crt)
| ||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h
|81 years and older
Zinc is predominantly eliminated in the feces. Elevated urine zinc may suggest excessive zinc supplementation but should be interpreted with a corresponding serum zinc concentration.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0020102||Zinc, Urine - ug/dL|
|0020103||Zinc, Urine - ug/day|
|0020207||Creatinine, Urine - per volume|
|0020208||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h|
|0025063||Zinc, Urine - ug/gCRT|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, contact interface support at email@example.com.
- Normalized Urine Zinc
- urine zinc concentration
- Zinc/Creatinine Ratio, Random, Urine
- Zn Urine