May be useful as an indicator of acute deficiency. For acute toxicity, Zinc, Urine (0020462) may be a more reliable indicator of exposure.
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Upon the advice of their physician, patients should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, and nonessential over-the-counter medications for one week prior to sample draw.
- Royal blue (no additives), or royal blue (EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Do not allow serum or plasma to remain on cells. Centrifuge and pour off serum or plasma ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 2 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Trace Element-Free Transport Tube (ARUP supply #43116). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Also acceptable: Refrigerated or frozen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Separator tubes. Specimens that are not separated from the red cells or clot. Hemolyzed specimens.
- If the specimen is drawn and stored in the appropriate container, the trace element values do not change with time.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- serum zinc level