Recommended for the assessment of iodine nutritional status. This test reports total iodine from all iodine-containing species present in the specimen but does not determine the chemical form (species) of the iodine present. For determination of iodine excess and monitoring iodine overload in patients administered iodine-containing medications, refer to Iodine, Serum (2007463).
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patients should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, nonessential over-the-counter medications for 48 hours (upon the advice of their physician). In addition, the administration of iodine-based contrast media and drugs containing Iodine may yield elevated results. Specimen must be collected in a plastic container and should be refrigerated after collection.
- 24-hour or random urine collection.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer an 8 mL aliquot from a well-mixed collection to ARUP Trace Element-Free Tubes (ARUP supply #43116) available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens not received in Trace Element-Free tubes. Urine collected within 48 hours after administration of a gadolinium (Gd) or iodine (I) containing contrast media (may occur with MRI studies). Acid preserved urine. Specimens contaminated with blood or fecal material. Specimens transported in non-trace element-free transport tube (with the exception of the original device).
- Record the total volume and collection time interval on transport tube and on test request form.
- Ambient: 2 months; Refrigerated: 2 months; Frozen: 2 months
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
| ||Iodine, Urine - per volume|
| ||Iodine, Urine - per 24h|
|Iodine per gram of Creatinine||No reference interval (µg/g crt)|
|0020473||Creatinine, 24-Hour Urine|
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0020207||Creatinine, Urine - per volume||2161-8|
|0020208||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h||2162-6|
|2007466||Iodine, Urine - per volume||26842-5|
|2007467||Iodine, Urine - per 24h||2492-7|
|2007468||Iodine, per gram of CRT||55928-6|
- I urine
- Iodide urine
- Urinary Free Iodine
- Urinary Iodine