May be useful as a reasonable indicator of recent, active exposure and provides a modest indicator for distinguishing exposed from nonexposed individuals. Not recommended for the assessment of manganese body stores. Manganese, Whole Blood (0099272) is recommended for monitoring potential accumulation with TPN.
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patients should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, and non-essential over-the-counter
medications (upon the advice of their physician).
- Royal blue (no additive).
- Specimen Preparation
- Do not allow serum to remain on cells. Centrifuge and pour off serum. Transfer 2 mL serum to an ARUP Trace Element-Free Transport Tube (ARUP supply #43116). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Separator tubes. Specimens that are not separated from the red cells, or clot, within 6 hours. Hemolyzed specimens.
- If the specimen is drawn and stored in the appropriate container, the trace element values do not change with time.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- Manganese Plasma
- Mn blood level
- Serum manganese concentration