- Patient Preparation
- Tumor tissue, body fluid, peripheral blood in green (sodium or lithium), bone marrow in green (sodium or lithium), OR urine/bladder washings.
- Specimen Preparation
- Tissue: Paraffin embed tissue block enriched with tumor
OR Body Fluid: Transport: 100 mL body fluid. (Min: 10 mL)
OR Peripheral Blood: Transport 5 mL whole blood.
OR Bone Marrow: Transport 2 mL bone marrow (specimens with low mononuclear cell counts may require more volume).
OR Urine/Bladder Washings: Centrifuge and remove supernatant. The cell pellet should then be re-suspended in a cell culture media such as Hank's Balanced Salt Solution or RPMI.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Tissue (paraffin embedded), Peripheral Blood or Bone Marrow: Refrigerated
Body Fluid or Urine/Bladder Washings: Refrigerated
- Unacceptable Conditions
- No tumor tissue remaining on block. Specimens fixed in Bouin's solution (picric acid), mercuric chloride containing fixatives (e.g., B5, Zenker's solution) or ethanol-based fixatives containing ethylene glycol, acetic acid, or zinc chloride. Clotted or hemolyzed blood or bone marrow. Decalcified specimens.
- Provide a Wright stained slide with all bone marrow and whole blood specimens along with clinical information and specimen source.
- Tissue (paraffin embedded): Ambient: Indefinitely; Refrigerated: Indefinitely; Frozen: Unacceptable
Body Fluid or Urine/Bladder Washings: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 24 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable
Peripheral Blood or Bone Marrow: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 48 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable
See Compliance Statement B: www.aruplab.com/CS
The tumor-specific S-phase is used when possible. An average histogram S-phase is used for diploid, near-diploid and hypodiploid tumors where the tumor and host S-phases cannot be separated. An average histogram S-phase is also used when the percentage of aneuploid cells in the histogram is low (less than 25%). The S-phase interpretation is based on comparison to other tumors of the same type, controlled for histogram type (diploid, near-diploid, aneuploid) and sample type (fresh/frozen, paraffin, etc.). The appropriate population is divided into thirds and compared to the sample S-phase for an interpretation of low, moderate, or high S-phase.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0095739||DNA Content, Miscellaneous|
|0095814||S-Phase Interpretation, Miscellaneous|
|2008897||DNA Index, Misc|