Preferred serotonin test when diagnosing carcinoid tumors is Serotonin, Whole Blood (0080395).
- Patient Preparation
- Abstain from medications for 72 hours prior to collection.
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Spin and separate within one hour. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.3 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens other than serum. Non-frozen specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 24 hours; Frozen: 1 month
In general, EDTA whole blood (as compared to serum) preserved with ascorbic acid will give values most representative of blood concentrations. Most (95 percent) of blood serotonin is found in platelets. Refer to Serotonin, Whole Blood (ARUP test code 0080395).
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- 5-Hydroxy Tryptamine