Do not use for diagnosis of infectious mononucleosis. Order to detect Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) in individuals suspected of having EBV-related disease.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA), pink (K2EDTA), serum separator tube, OR Bone marrow aspirate in lavender (EDTA) or pink (K2EDTA), OR CSF or tissue.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum or plasma from cells. Transfer 1 mL serum, plasma, bone marrow or CSF to a sterile container. (Min: 0.5 mL). OR Tissue: Transfer to sterile container and freeze immediately. Also acceptable: Formalin fixed and paraffin embedded tissue.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Paraffin-Embedded Tissue: Room temperature. Bone marrow: Refrigerated. All others: Frozen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Heparinized specimens. Tissues in formalin (not paraffin embedded) or other preservatives.
- Specimen source required.
- Fresh Tissue: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: 1 year.
Paraffin Embedded Tissue: Ambient: Indefinitely; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: Unacceptable.
Bone Marrow: Ambient: 7 days ; Refrigerated: 7 days; Frozen: 7 days.
All others: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 5 days; Frozen: 1 year.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0050117||Epstein Barr Virus Source||31208-2|
|0050246||Epstein Barr Virus by PCR||5005-4|
- EBV PCR
- EBV qualitative
- Human herpesvirus 4