Hereditary Paraganglioma-Pheochromocytoma (SDHC) Sequencing and Deletion/Duplication
Use when SDHC-related hereditary paraganglioma-pheochromocytoma is suspected.
Polymerase Chain Reaction/Sequencing/Multiplex Ligation-dependent Probe Amplification
Lavender (K2EDTA), Pink (K2EDTA), or Yellow (ACD Solution A or B).
Transport 3 mL whole blood. (Min: 2 mL)
Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 1 month; Frozen: 6 months
Background Information for Hereditary Paraganglioma-Pheochromocytoma (SDHC) Sequencing and Deletion/Duplication:
Characteristics: Hereditary paraganglioma-pheochromocytoma (PGL/PCC) syndromes are characterized by paragangliomas (neuroendocrine tumors of the autonomic nervous system) and pheochromocytomas (paragangliomas of the adrenal medulla). Pathogenic germline mutations in a number of genes, including SDHC, predispose to paraganglioma and pheochromocytoma.
Incidence: About 1 in 300,000 per year.
Inheritance: Autosomal dominant.
Cause: Pathogenic succinate dehydrogenase, subunits B, C, and D (SDHB, SDHC, and SDHD) gene mutations. Mutations in other genes, including TMEM127, EGLN1, MAX, SDHA, and SDHAF2, may also be causative.
Clinical Sensitivity: 4 percent.
Methodology: Bidirectional sequencing of all coding regions and intron-exon boundaries of the SDHC gene; multiplex ligation-dependent probe amplification (MLPA) to detect large SDHC deletions/duplications.
Analytical Sensitivity and Specificity: Sequencing: 99 percent. MLPA: 90 and 99 percent, respectively .
Limitations: Diagnostic errors can occur due to rare sequence variations. Regulatory region mutations and deep intronic mutations will not be detected. The breakpoints of large deletions/duplications will not be determined. Mutations in genes other than SDHC are not evaluated. This assay is not designed to detect somatic variants associated with malignancy. Interpretation of this test result may be impacted if the patient has had an allogeneic stem cell transplantation.
Laboratory Developed Test (LDT)
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2007118||HPGL-PCC (SDHC) Seq, DelDup Specimen||31208-2|
|2007119||HPGL-PCC (SDHC) Seq, DelDup Interp||38923-9|
- Hereditary PGL/PCC Type 3 molecular assay
- Paraganglioma (SDHC) Sequencing and Deletion/Duplication (Hereditary Paraganglioma-Pheochromocytoma
- PCC (SDHC) Sequencing and Deletion/Duplication (Hereditary Paraganglioma-Pheochromocytoma (SDHC) Seq
- PGL (SDHC) Sequencing and Deletion/Duplication
- Pheochromocytoma (SDHC) Sequencing and Deletion/Duplication
- SDHC Sequencing and Deletion/Duplication
- SDHD Gene
- Stromal Tumor (SDHC) Sequencing and Deletion/Duplication
- Succinate Dehydrogenase genetic assay
- Succinate Dehydrogenase, subset C (SDHC) Sequencing and Deletion/Duplication