Generally, virus-specific testing (eg, antigen detection or molecular) is recommended.
New York DOH Approval Status
Eye swab, lesion, stool, tissue (brain, colon, kidney, liver, etc.), or urine.
Fluid: Transfer 3 mL specimen to a sterile container. (Min: 0.5 mL) Also acceptable: Transfer to 3 mL viral transport media (ARUP Supply #12884) available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
Stool: Transfer 1 mL stool to an unpreserved stool transport vial (ARUP supply #40910) available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 0.5 mL)
Swab or Tissue: Place in 3 mL viral transport media (ARUP Supply #12884) available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
Calcium alginate, eSwab, dry, or wood swabs.
Specimen source preferred.
Ambient: 2 hours; Refrigerated: 72 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable
Identification is billed separately from culture. Viruses that can be isolated by culture include adenovirus, cytomegalovirus, enterovirus, herpes simplex virus, and varicella-zoster virus. However, virus-specific tests are recommended and are listed below.
The following test is standard-of-care for diagnosing adenovirus infection in tissue specimens:
Adenovirus by Qualitative PCR (ARUP test code 2007473)
The following tests are standard-of-care for diagnosing viral infection in CSF specimens:
Cytomegalovirus by Qualitative PCR (ARUP test code 0060040)
Enterovirus by PCR (ARUP test code 0050249)
Epstein-Barr Virus by Qualitative PCR (ARUP test code 0050246)
Herpes Simplex Virus by PCR (ARUP test code 0060041)
Varicella-Zoster Virus by PCR (ARUP test code 0060042)
The following tests are recommended for detecting a specific virus in specimens other than CSF. If a specific virus is suspected, please indicate the virus on the test request.
1. Cytomegalovirus. Refer to Cytomegalovirus Rapid Culture (ARUP test code 0065004)
2. Human metapneumovirus (hMPV). hMPV can be detected by DFA staining or nucleic acid testing. Refer to Human Metapneumovirus by DFA (ARUP test code 0060779) and Respiratory Viruses DFA (ARUP test code 0060289), or Human Metapneumovirus by PCR (ARUP test code 0060784)
3. Measles virus. Refer to Measles (Rubeola) Virus Culture (ARUP test code 0065055)
4. Mumps virus. Refer to Mumps Virus by PCR (ARUP test code 3000523).
5. Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). Refer to Respiratory Syncytial Virus DFA (ARUP test code 0060288)
6. Respiratory viruses. Refer to Respiratory Viruses DFA (ARUP test code 0060289); Viral Culture, Respiratory (ARUP test code 2006499); or Respiratory Viruses DFA with Reflex to Viral Culture, Respiratory (ARUP test code 0060281)
7. Varicella-zoster virus. Refer to Varicella-Zoster Virus DFA with Reflex to Varicella-Zoster Virus Culture (ARUP test code 0060282)
8. Enteric adenovirus 40-41 and rotavirus in stool. Refer to Gastrointestinal Pathogens Panel by PCR (ARUP test code 3003279)
87252; if definitive identification required, add 87253
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2006498||Viral Culture, Non-Respiratory||6584-7|
- Adenovirus Culture
- CMV, Cytomegalovirus Culture, Varicella Zoster Culture
- Coxsackie Virus (CSF & Rectal Swab)
- Culture for Virus, Routine
- Culture, Coxsackie Virus/Echovirus
- Herpes 1 and 2 (Culture)
- Herpes or Herpes Simplex Virus Cult
- Viral Culture, General
- Viral Isolation
- Virus (CSF)
- Virus, Culture-Stool