Use for all nongynecologic sources EXCEPT specimens obtained by fine needle aspiration. For fine needle aspirate (FNA) specimens, refer to Cytology, Fine Needle Aspirate (2000443).
Non-Gynecologic Body Fluids, Brushings, or Washings. For specific instructions refer to Cytopathology Specimen Collection & Handling.
Fluid: Transport all available specimen to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube in equal parts cytology fixative. Also acceptable: Unfixed fluid if submitted refrigerated within 24 hours.
Slides: Transport specimen on fixed or unfixed slides.
Fresh Unfixed Fluid: Refrigerated.
Fixed Fluid: Room temperature. Also acceptable: Refrigerated.
Fixed or Unfixed Slides: Room temperature. Also acceptable: Refrigerated
Submit source information with the specimen.
Fresh Unfixed Fluid: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 72 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable
Fixed Fluid: Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: Unacceptable
Fixed or Unfixed Slides: Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: Unacceptable
Varies by Report
88108 or 88112 or 88160 or 88104 and/or 88305. Additional CPT codes may apply if special studies are required
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|8209825||Gross Description/Preparations Made|
- Anal Pap
- Anal smear
- Anal, Cytology
- Bile Drainage, Cytology
- Bile Duct brushing, Cytology
- Bladder Washing, Cytology
- Body Cavity Fluid, Cytology
- Breast Discharge, Cytology
- Bronchial Brushing, Cytology
- Bronchial Washing, Cytology
- Bronchoalveolar Lavage, Cytology
- Cerebrospinal Fluid for Cytology
- Conjunctival Scrapings for Cytology
- CSF, Cytology
- Cytology, CSF
- Esophageal Brushing, Cytology
- Eye, Cytology
- Gastric Washing, Cytology
- Gastric, Brushing, Cytology
- Gastrointestinal, Cytology
- Herpes, Cytology
- Nipple Discharge for Cytology
- Oral brushing, Cytology
- Oral Scraping, Cytology
- Pelvic Washing, Cytology
- Pericardial Fluid, Cytology
- Peritoneal Fluid, Cytology
- Pleural Fluid, Cytology
- Renal Pelvis Washing, Cytology
- Retroperitoneal Fluid
- Skin Scraping for Cytology
- Sputum, Cytology
- Synovial Fluid, Cytology
- Tzanck Smear
- Ureteral Brushing, Cytology
- Ureteral Washing, Cytology
- Urethral Washing, Cytology
- Urine, Cytology
- Vitreous Fluid for Cytology