Evaluate the ability of a patient to produce antibody to pure protein vaccines after vaccination to rule out antibody deficiency.
Quantitative Multiplex Bead Assay
New York DOH Approval Status
Serum separator tube. "Pre" and "post" vaccination specimens should be submitted for testing. "Post" specimen should be drawn 30 days after immunization.
Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.15 mL) Mark specimens clearly as "Pre-Vaccine" or "Post-Vaccine". If shipped separately, "Post" specimen must be received within 60 days of "Pre" specimen.
Plasma or other body fluids.
After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
Antibody concentrations of > 0.1 IU/mL are usually considered protective for diphtheria or tetanus.
Responder status is determined according to the ratio of a one-month post-vaccination sample to pre-vaccination concentration of IgG antibodies as follows:
Diphtheria and tetanus:
1. If the post-vaccination concentration is less than 1.0 IU/mL, the patient is considered a nonresponder.
2. If the post-vaccination concentration is greater than or equal to 1.0 IU/mL, a patient with a ratio of less than 1.5 is a nonresponder, a ratio of 1.5 to less than 3.0, is a weak responder, and a ratio of 3.0 or greater, is a good responder.
3. If the pre-vaccination concentration is greater than 1.0 IU/mL, it may be difficult to assess the response based on a ratio alone. A post-vaccination concentration above 2.5 IU in this case is adequate.
This test was developed and its performance characteristics determined by ARUP Laboratories. It has not been cleared or approved by the US Food and Drug Administration. This test was performed in a CLIA certified laboratory and is intended for clinical purposes.
Laboratory Developed Test (LDT)
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0050210||Diphtheria Antibody, IgG||13227-4|
|0050535||Tetanus Antibody, IgG||53935-3|
- C. tetani
- Clostridium tetani
- Corynebacterium diphtheriae Antitoxin
- Diphtheria Antitoxoid
- Immune Response
- nti-tetanus toxoid
- Tetanus Immune Response
- Tetanus toxoid antibodies
- Tetanus/Diphtheria Antibody Panel
- Tetanus/Diptheria Vaccine Response
- Vaccine Response