Detect fetal hemoglobin in maternal blood to determine the presence and extent of fetal-maternal hemorrhage. Determine appropriate dose of Rh immunoglobulin therapy in Rh negative mothers.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA) or Pink (K2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 3 mL whole blood. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens collected after Rh immunoglobulin administered, Cord or Fetal blood, Clotted specimens.
- Ambient: 72 hours; Refrigerated: 72 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable
The quantitation of fetomaternal hemorrhage by this method is inherently imprecise. Therefore, it is important to provide a safety margin when calculating the dose of RhIG.
Increased Acid Resistant Cells may be found in some hemoglobinopathies, beta thalassemias and hereditary persistence of fetal hemoglobin. Results must be interpreted with caution in these situations.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- Fetal hemoglobin stain
- KB test
- Kleihauer-Betke Stain