Cytology, Breast Nipple Secretion
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Indications: Detection of malignant cells in nipple discharge specimens.
- Direct smear of nipple discharge.
Supplies: Two clean glass slides (single-end frosted), fixative (spray fixative or 95% ethanol), test request form.
Collection Procedure: Label the two slides with the patient's first and last name, date of birth and specimen site in pencil on the frosted end. Collect a small amount of nipple secretion directly onto one of the slides. Oppose a second glass slide onto the first, allowing the collected material to provide surface tension between the two slides, and then gently and quickly pull the two slides apart in a horizontal motion to distribute the material in a thin film over both slides. The smears should be immediately fixed either by spray fixative or in 95% ethyl alcohol to prevent air-drying. Submit the specimen and the completed test request form to the Cytopathology Laboratory.
- Specimen Preparation
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Refer to the Specimen Rejection section in the Specimen Transport Guide.
- Fixed slides: Indefinitely
- Breast Discharge, Cytology (Cytology, Breast Nipple Secretion)
- Nipple Discharge for Cytology (Cytology, Breast Nipple Secretion)