Detects HRAS mutations (codons 12, 13, 61) associated with thyroid cancer.
- Patient Preparation
- Tumor tissue.
- Specimen Preparation
- Formalin fix (10 percent neutral buffered formalin) and paraffin embed tissue. Protect from excessive heat. Transport tissue block or 5 unstained 5 micron slides. (Min: 3 slides).
A Fine Needle Aspirate (FNA) smear may also be submitted. Prepare FNA smear with Diff-Quik or equivalent stain by standard methods (air-dried slides are preferred). Number of slides needed is dependent on the tumor cellularity of the smear. (Min: 1 slide). Slide(s) will be destroyed during testing process and will not be returned to client.
Transport block and/or slide(s) in a tissue transport kit (ARUP supply # 47808) available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. A Fine Needle Aspirate (FNA) specimen stored in saline, PreservCyt or CytoLyt may also be submitted.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Also acceptable: Refrigerated. Ship in cooled container during summer months.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Less than 25 percent tumor. Decalcified specimens. FNA smears with less than 50 tumor cells.
- Include surgical pathology report. Tissue block will be returned after testing.
- FFPE and FNA smears: Ambient: Indefinitely; Refrigerated: Indefinitely; Frozen: Unacceptable
FNA cells unfixed: Ambient: 2 days; Refrigerated: 2 days; Frozen: Unacceptable
FNA cells fixed: Ambient: 3 days; Refrigerated: 14 days; Frozen: Unacceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2012176||HRAS Mutation Detection, Pyrosequencing||21719-0|