•Do not order prior to molecular confirmation of positive HCV screen.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA), pink (K2EDTA), plasma preparation tube or serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum or plasma from cells within 6 hours. Transfer 2 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Heparinized specimens.
- Please submit most recent viral load and test date, if available.
- On cells: Ambient: 6 hours. After separation from cells: Refrigerated: 72 hours; Frozen: 4 Months.
Isolates of hepatitis C virus are grouped into six major genotypes (1-6). These genotypes are subtyped according to sequence characteristics. Due to high conservation of the 5' un-translated region of the HCV genome, this test has limitations in differentiating subtype 1a from 1b. Therefore, these subtypes will be reported as 1a or 1b. In rare instances, Type 6 virus may be misclassified as Type 1.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0055593||HCV Genotype by Sequencing||32286-7|
- HCV, Subtype (Hepatitis C Virus Genotyping)