- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube. Post-immunization specimen should be drawn 30 days after immunization and, if shipped separately, must be received within 60 days of pre-immunization specimen.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1.5 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.25 mL) MARK SPECIMENS CLEARLY AS "PRE" OR "POST" SO SPECIMENS WILL BE SAVED AND TESTED SIMULTANEOUSLY.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Refrigerated. "Pre" and "post" pneumococcal vaccine specimens can be submitted separately or together for testing.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Plasma or other body fluids. Contaminated, hemolyzed, or severely lipemic specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
Following vaccination, an antibody ratio of less than twofold is considered a non-responder; a ratio of two-to fourfold is a weak responder; a ratio of fourfold or greater is a good responder. The higher the pre-vaccination antibody level for a specific pneumococcal serotype, the less likely the response will increase significantly after vaccination.
An increased antibody level to 50-70 percent or more of the serotypes is thought to represent a normal humoral response. In the case of pure polysaccharide vaccine, indication of immune system competence is further delineated as an adequate response to at least 70 percent of the serotypes in the vaccine challenge for those 6-65 years of age, or to at least 50 percent of the serotypes in the vaccine challenge for those 2-5 years of age.
See Compliance Statement B: www.aruplab.com/CS
This assay is designed to use both pre- and post-immunization specimens to assess immune responsiveness to pneumococcal vaccine. This test is not designed to determine protection to Streptococcus pneumoniae based on a single specimen.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0050719||Pneumo Serotype Interpretation||42771-6|
|2005780||Pneumococcal Serotype 2 IgG||40964-9|
|2005781||Pneumococcal Serotype 10A IgG||40967-2|
|2005782||Pneumococcal Serotype 11A IgG||40968-0|
|2005783||Pneumococcal Serotype 15B IgG||40973-0|
|2005784||Pneumococcal Serotype 17F IgG||40963-1|
|2005785||Pneumococcal Serotype 19A IgG||40974-8|
|2005786||Pneumococcal Serotype 20 IgG||40965-6|
|2005787||Pneumococcal Serotype 22F IgG||40966-4|
|2005788||Pneumococcal Serotype 33F IgG||40969-8|