- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube. Also acceptable: Green (sodium or lithium heparin), lavender (EDTA), pink (K2EDTA), red (clot activator), or plasma separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum into an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL) Remove particulate material.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens containing particulate material. Severely hemolyzed or heat-inactivated specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: Indefinitely (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
|Available Separately||Components||Reference Interval|
|No||Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Combo Antigen/Antibody (HIV-1/O/2) by ELISA||Negative|
|No||HIV-1 Antibody by Multispot||Negative|
|No||HIV-2 Antibody by Multispot||Negative|
The reflexed HIV-1/ HIV-2 Antibody Differentiation test discriminates between HIV-1 and HIV-2 antibodies. Results for each type are reported.
If the HIV-1,2 Combo Antigen/Antibody screen is repeatedly reactive, then the HIV-1/ HIV-2 Antibody Differentiation test will be performed. Additional charges apply. A recommendation to order further testing on a separate specimen for HIV-1 Nucleic Acid will be made for certain results. This multi-test algorithm was proposed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and adopted by the Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI) for the diagnosis of HIV.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|2007981||HIV 1,2 Combo Antigen/Antibody|
- 4th generation, Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Combo Antigen/Antibody (HIV-1/O/2) by ELISA, with