May be useful in determining past exposure to lead. Not recommended for the routine assessment of lead toxicity.
- Patient Preparation
- Collect a pencil-thick segment of hair. Bundle, cut at roots, wrap with twist tie at root end.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer 500 mg hair to an ARUP Trace Element-Free Transport Tube (ARUP supply #43116) available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 500 mg)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Also acceptable: Refrigerated or frozen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Ambient: Undetermined Refrigerated: Undetermined Frozen: Undetermined
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
Performed at National Medical Services (NMS)