Useful as a reasonable indicator of recent, active exposure and provides a modest indicator for distinguishing exposed from non-exposed individuals. May be useful in long-term, low-dose manganese exposure. Manganese, Whole Blood (0099272) is recommended for monitoring potential accumulation with TPN.
- Patient Preparation
- Royal blue (Trace metal-free EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transport 1 mL RBCs in the original collection tube. (Min: 0.4 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Refrigerated. Also acceptable: Room temperature.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Ambient: 1 month; Refrigerated: 1 month; Frozen: Unacceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
Performed at National Medical Services (NMS)