This is a second tier test and REQUIRES PERMISSION from ARUP's Genetic Counselor (800-242-2787, x2141) before ordering. Preferred initial test is the sequencing and deletion/duplication test.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA), pink (K2EDTA), or yellow (ACD Solution A or B).
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 3 mL whole blood. (Min: 1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Ambient: 72 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: Unacceptable
Characteristics: Hereditary paraganglioma-pheochromocytoma (PGL/PCC) syndromes are characterized by paragangliomas (neuroendocrine tumors of the autonomic nervous system) and pheochromocytomas (paragangliomas of the adrenal medulla). Pathogenic germline mutations in a number of genes, including SDHB, SDHC, and SDHD, predispose to paraganglioma and pheochromocytoma with risk of malignant transformation.
Incidence: About 1 in 300,000 per year.
Inheritance: Autosomal dominant; parent of origin effect for SDHD.
Cause: Pathogenic succinate dehydrogenase, subunits B, C, and D (SDHB, SDHC, and SDHD) gene mutations. Mutations in other genes, including TMEM127, EGLN1, MAX, SDHA, and SDHAF2, may also be causative.
Clinical Sensitivity: Unknown.
Methodology: Multiplex Ligation-dependent Probe Amplification (MLPA) to detect large SDHB, SDHC, and SDHD deletions/duplications.
Analytical Sensitivity and Specificity: 90 and 99 percent, respectively.
Limitations:Diagnostic errors can occur due to rare sequence variations. Single base pair substitutions, small deletions/duplications, regulatory region mutations, and deep intronic mutations will not be detected. The breakpoints of large deletions/duplications will not be determined. Mutations in genes other than SDHB, SDHC, and SDHD are not evaluated.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2007114||HPGL-PCC (SDHB,C,D) DelDup Specimen|
|2007115||HPGL-PCC (SDHB,C,D) DelDup Interp|
- Hereditary PGL/PCC Familial Mutation Detection
- Paraganglioma (SDHB, SDHC, and SDHD) Deletion/Duplication
- PCC (SDHB, SDHC, and SDHD) Deletion/Duplication
- PGL (SDHB, SDHC, and SDHD) Deletion/Duplication
- Pheochromocytoma (SDHB, SDHC, and SDHD) Deletion/Duplication
- SDHB, SDHC, and SDHD Deletion/Duplication
- SDHD Gene
- Stromal Tumor (SDHB, SDHC, and SDHD) Deletion/Duplication
- Succinate Dehydrogenase genetic assay
- Succinate Dehydrogenase, subsets B, C, and D (SDHB, SDHC, and SDHD) Deletion/Duplication