Assess active exposure to nicotine and compliance with smoking-cessation programs.
Enzyme Multiplied Immunoassay Technique
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Random urine
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer 4 mL urine with no additives to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens exposed to repeated freeze/thaw cycles
- Ambient: 10 days; Refrigerated: 10 days; Frozen: 8 months
Cotinine is a metabolite of nicotine and may be detected up to seven days after nicotine exposure. The cutoff is set at 100 ng/mL to detect active exposure (smoking). This test will not distinguish between tobacco use and nicotine replacement therapy.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|2007082||Cotinine Screen, Urine|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, please click the sidebar link to access the Interface Map.
- Nicotine & Metabolites urine
- Nicotine Metabolite