Limited utility as an indicator of deficiency as concentration does not correlate well with intake. Serum or plasma measurements (0020097
) are best for assessment of deficiency over short periods of time. For acute toxicity, zinc in urine (0020462
) may be a more reliable indicator of exposure.
Quantitative Inductively Coupled Plasma-Optical Emission Spectrometry
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Royal Blue (Trace metal-free; EDTA)
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate cells within 2 hours of collection. Transport 2 mL RBCs in the original collection tube. (Min.: 0.7 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Refrigerated. Also acceptable: Frozen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Lavender top (EDTA).
- Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 1 month; Frozen: 1 month
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, please click the sidebar link to access the Interface Map.
Performed at National Medical Services (NMS)