Carboxyhemoglobin Quantitation, Whole Blood by Co-Oximetry
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Green (sodium or lithium heparin). Do not collect by finger stick or heel stick. Collect Sunday-Thursday only.
- Specimen Preparation
- Keep specimen anaerobic; do not remove cap from collection tube. Refrigerate within 30 minutes after collection. Transport 5 mL whole blood. (Min: 0.5 mL) Specimen should be received within 24 hours of collection.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Refrigerated. Separate specimens must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered. Ship Sunday- Thursday only.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens collected in EDTA tubes or not anaerobically. Specimens that have been opened or exposed to room air. Frozen or room temperature specimens. Specimens containing air bubbles or clots.
- Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerate: 72 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable
Effective February 21, 2011
Individuals who smoke typically demonstrate higher Carboxyhemoglobin values than non-smokers.
|1-2 packs per day||0-5.0 percent|
|3-4 packs per day||0-9.0 percent|
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
- Carbon monoxide