Use for the rapid identification of L. pneumophila; sensitivity is dependent on patient population and specimen type. Molecular testing is generally preferred; refer to Legionella spp. by PCR (2010125).
- Patient Preparation
- Pericardial fluid, respiratory, or tissue specimens.
- Specimen Preparation
- Fluid: Prepare two duplicate slides. OR transfer 1 mL fluid to a sterile container.
Tissue: Transfer tissue to a sterile container and place on gauze moistened with sterile non-bacteriostatic saline to prevent drying.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Refrigerated. OR frozen if transport occurs more than 48 hours after collection.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Non-respiratory specimens. Specimens in preservatives or viral transport medium.
- Specimen source preferred.
- Fluid or Tissue: Ambient: 12 hours; Refrigerated: 48 hours; Frozen: 1 week
Slides: Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 1 week
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2004599||Legionella pneumophila DFA Source||31208-2|
|2004600||Legionella pneumophila DFA Result||588-4|
- L. pneumophilia DFA
- Legionella Smear, DFA