- Patient Preparation
- Gray (sodium fluoride/potassium oxalate). Also acceptable: Plain red, green (sodium heparin), lavender (EDTA), or pink (K2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum or plasma from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 2 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Separator tubes. Plasma or whole blood collected in lt. blue (sodium citrate). Specimens exposed to repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Submit With Order
Please indicate in the supplied fields:
1. Dose - List drug amount and include the units of measure
2. Route - List the route of administration (IV, oral, etc.)
3. Dose Frequency - Indicate how often the dose is administered (per day, per week, as needed, etc.)
4. Type of Draw - Indicate the type of blood draw (Peak, Trough, Random, etc.)
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 3 years
|Drugs Covered||Cutoff Concentrations|
|N-desmethyltramadol (qualitative only)||100 ng/mL|
|O-desmethyltramadol (qualitative only)||100 ng/mL|
Tramadol: 50 ng/mL
n-desmethyltramadol : 100 ng/mL
o-desmethyltramadol: 100 ng/mL
For medical purposes only; not valid for forensic use.
The presence of metabolite(s) without parent drug may indicate use of parent drug during the prior week.
The absence of expected drug(s) and/or drug metabolite(s) may indicate non-compliance, inappropriate timing of specimen collection relative to drug administration, poor drug absorption, or limitations of testing. The concentration value must be greater than or equal to the cutoff to be reported as positive. Interpretive questions should be directed to the laboratory.
See Compliance Statement B: www.aruplab.com/CS
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2002741||Tramadol, S/P, Quant||12437-0|
|2002765||N-desmethyltramadol, S/P, Qual|
|2002768||O-desmethyltramadol, S/P, Qual|
|2011586||Tramadol Dose Frequency|
|2011588||Tramadol Type of Draw|
- tramadol blood level
- Ultracet (Tramadol Component)
- ultram blood level