- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA), pink (K2EDTA), or plasma preparation tube. Multiple tubes may be required.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate plasma from cells within 24 hours. Transfer two 3 mL aliquots of plasma to individual ARUP Standard Transport Tubes. (Min: 3 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Serum. Heparinized specimens. Specimens submitted in a plasma preparation tube.
- Ambient: On cells: 24 hours. After separation from cells: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 6 days; Frozen: 6 weeks
The limit of quantification for the HIV-1 RNA Quantitative assay is 1.3 log copies/mL (20 copies/mL). If the assay DID NOT DETECT the virus, the test result will be reported as "<1.3 log copies/mL (<20 copies/mL)." If the assay DETECTED the presence of the virus but was not able to accurately quantify the number of copies, the test result will be reported as "Not Quantified."
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0020297||HIV-1 RNA Qnt Real-Time PCR, Log|
|0051817||HIV-1 RNA Qnt Real-Time PCR Interp|
|2002646||HIV-1 RNA Qnt Real-Time PCR, Copy|
- HIV genotyping for drug sensitivity testing
- HIV-1 reflex to genotyping
- HIV-1 Treatment decision
- HIV-1 viral load
- Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT)
- Viral load monitoring