- Patient Preparation
- Supine: 1. Both specimens should be obtained between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. (after at least two hours in supine position); 2. Normal sodium diet (100-200 mEq/day) for at least three days; 3. Receiving no medications known to affect renin-aldosterone system.
Upright: 1. Both specimens should be obtained before noon (after at least two hours in upright position; seated or standing). 2. Normal sodium diet (100-200 mEq/day) for at least three days. 3. Receiving no medications known to affect renin-aldosterone system.
Contact Medical Director if more information is needed.
- From either a supine or upright patient, serum separator tube AND lavender (EDTA) or pink (K2EDTA). Do not collect in refrigerated tubes.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate from cells ASAP. Transfer 1 mL serum or heparinized plasma AND 2 mL EDTA plasma to individual ARUP Standard Transport Tubes and freeze immediately. (Min: 0.5 mL serum or heparinized plasma AND 1 mL EDTA plasma)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- CRITICAL FROZEN. Separate specimens must be submitted when additional tests are ordered.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Refrigerated plasma. Hemolyzed specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 8 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: 1 month
|Available Separately||Components||Reference Interval|
|0070015||Aldosterone, Serum||Effective May 16, 2011
|2001575||Renin, Direct||2.5-45.7 pg/mL|
|Aldosterone/Direct Renin Calculation||0.1-3.7|
An Aldosterone/Direct Renin Ratio of greater than 3.7 is suggestive of hyperaldosteronism.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2002583||Aldosterone/Direct Renin Calculation||30894-0|
- Aldosterone and Direct renin
- aldosterone serum
- aldosterone/direct renin calculation
- Aldosterone/Renin Ratio
- Renin direct