Aldosterone & Renin, Direct with Ratio
Quantitative Radioimmunoassay/Quantitative Immunoradiometry
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Supine: 1. Both specimens should be obtained between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. (after at least two hours in supine position); 2. Normal sodium diet (100-200 mEq/day) for at least three days; 3. Receiving no medications known to affect renin-aldosterone system.
Upright: 1. Both specimens should be obtained before noon (after at least two hours in upright position; seated or standing). 2. Normal sodium diet (100-200 mEq/day) for at least three days. 3. Receiving no medications known to affect renin-aldosterone system.
Contact Medical Director if more information is needed.
- Serum separator tube or green (sodium or lithium heparin) AND lavender (EDTA) or pink (K2EDTA). Do not collect in refrigerated tubes.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate from cells ASAP. Transfer 1 mL serum or heparinized plasma AND 2 mL EDTA plasma to individual ARUP Standard Transport Tubes and freeze immediately. (Min: 0.5 mL serum or heparinized plasma AND 1 mL EDTA plasma)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- CRITICAL FROZEN. Separate specimens must be submitted when additional tests are ordered.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Refrigerated plasma. Hemolyzed specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 4 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: 1 month
|Available Separately||Components||Reference Interval|
|0070015||Aldosterone, Serum||Effective May 16, 2011
|2001575||Renin, Direct||2.5-45.7 pg/mL|
|Aldosterone/Direct Renin Calculation||0.1-3.7|
An Aldosterone/Direct Renin Ratio of greater than 3.7 is suggestive of hyperaldosteronism.
Normal serum levels of aldosterone are dependent on the sodium intake and whether the patient is upright or supine. High sodium intake will tend to suppress serum aldosterone, whereas low sodium intake will elevate serum aldosterone. The reference intervals for serum aldosterone are based on normal sodium intake.
Do not use this test for patients treated with Cathepsin B.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|2002583||Aldosterone/Direct Renin Calculation|