Hepatitis C Virus Antibody by CIA
Screen for hepatitis C virus infection in at-risk individuals.
Qualitative Chemiluminescent Immunoassay
Within 24 hours
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube. Also acceptable: Lavender (EDTA) or pink (K2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens containing particulate material. Severely hemolyzed, heat-inactivated, or lipemic specimens. Heparinized plasma.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: Indefinitely (avoid freeze/thaw cycles)
This assay should not be used for blood donor screening, associated re-entry protocols, or for screening Human Cell, Tissues and Cellular and Tissue-Based Products (HCT/P).
|Hepatitis C Antibody by CIA Index|
|Negative||0.79 IV or less|
|Equivocal||0.80 to 0.99 IV|
|Low Positive||1.00 to 10.99 IV|
|High Positive||11.00 IV or greater|
|Index Value (IV) = Anti-HCV signal to cutoff (S/C)|
For both low-positive and high-positive anti-HCV screening results, ARUP recommends collecting a new specimen and testing for Hepatitis C RNA by PCR to rule out active infection.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0020099||Hepatitis C Antibody by CIA Interp|
|2002404||Hepatitis C Antibody by CIA Index|
- HCV Ab (Hepatitis C Virus Antibody by CIA)