- Patient Preparation
- The patient should be on a diet consisting of 50 to 150 g of fat per day for 3 days prior to the study. Non-absorbable fat substitutes, such as olestra, should be avoided prior to collection.
- 48-hour stool. Refrigerate during collection. Provide patient a Timed Stool Collection Kit (ARUP supply #44192) available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
- Specimen Preparation
- Refer to instructions in Stool Collection-Timed Specimens (24, 48, 72 Hours) under Specimen Handling at http://www.aruplab.com. Submit entire 48-hour stool collection in an ARUP approved transport container(s) provided in kit using additional containers as needed for the full collection (available separately, ARUP supply #28077). (Min: 4 g)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Random collections. Specimens containing barium or charcoal. Specimens in media or preservatives. Containers larger than 500 mL (500 g), such as paint cans, will be rejected and discarded.
- Ambient: 1 hour; Refrigerated: 4 days; Frozen: 2 weeks
6 years and older: 0.0-6.0 g/24h
See Compliance Statement B: www.aruplab.com/CS
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0020377||Fat, Fecal Total Weight|
|0060748||Fat, Fecal Quantitative 48-Hour|
- Fecal fat 48 Hour