- Patient Preparation
- The patient should be on a diet consisting of 50 to 150 g of fat per day for 3 days prior to the study. Non-absorbable fat substitutes, such as Olestra, should be avoided prior to collection.
- 24, 48, or 72-hour stool collection. Refrigerate during collection.
- Specimen Preparation
- Weigh entire collection. Homogenize entire collection (using a graduated cylinder, add sufficient water to give "milk shake" consistency) and aliquot 20 mL (20 g) to a clean, unpreserved vial (ARUP supply #40910). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 5 mL) Refer to instructions in Stool Collection-Timed Specimens (24, 48, 72 Hours) under Specimen Handling at www.aruplab.com.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Random collections. Specimens containing barium or charcoal. Specimens in media or preservatives. Containers larger than 500 mL (500 g), such as paint cans, will be rejected and discarded. Submissions without collection time and weight information.
- Provide weight of entire collection, volume of water added for homogenization (if applicable), and duration of collection. Complete information is required in order to perform accurate calculations. If weight and time are not provided, the specimen is assumed to be a random collection. Alternative testing can be performed. See Fat, Fecal Qualitative (ARUP test code 0020385).
- Ambient: 1 hour; Refrigerated: 4 days; Frozen: 2 weeks
6 years and older: 0.0-6.0 g/24h
See Compliance Statement B: www.aruplab.com/CS
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0020378||Fat, Fecal Quantitative||16142-2|
|0060717||Collection Time for Fecal Specimen||13363-7|
- Fat, Quant
- Fat, Quantitative
- Fecal fat aliquot
- fecal fat homogenized aliquot
- Fecal Fat, Quantitative
- Fecal Lipids
- Quantitative Fecal
- Stool Fat, Quantitative
- Total Fat, Quantitative