- Patient Preparation
- Thaw media prior to tissue inoculation. Products of conception in a sterile, screw-top container (Wide mouth containers: ARUP supply #42710) filled with tissue culture transport medium (ARUP Supply # 32788). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. If cytogenetics tissue media is not available, collect in plain RPMI, Hanks solution, sterile saline, or ringers.
If autopsy is performed: Facia lata, diaphragm, tendon, skin, tissue from internal organs (if fresh), chest wall cartilage (particularly if macerated) or placenta from fetal side.
If no autopsy is performed: Placenta from fetal side is preferred (e.g. villi).
Also acceptable: Umbilical cord or achilles tendon.
- Specimen Preparation
- DO NOT FREEZE. Do not place in formalin. Transport products of conception (Min: 5 mg) in sterile, screw-top container filled with tissue transport medium. If specimen size is too large for a normal collection tube, a larger sterile container can be used such as a sterile urine cup and can be flooded with several tubes of cytogenetic tissue media.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature (fresh tissue or culture flask). Also acceptable: Refrigerated.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Frozen specimens. Intact fetus. Specimens preserved in formalin. Specimens consisting of maternal tissue (decidua) only. Autolyzed or contaminated specimens.
- If specimen collection time is greater than 72 hours, testing may be compromised. The laboratory will make every attempt to culture the specimen. Send specimen to lab for testing. This test must be ordered using Cytogenetic test request form #43097 or through your ARUP interface. Please submit the Patient History Form - Cytogenetics (Chromosome) Testing, Prenatal with the Electronic Packing List. The form is available on ARUP's Web site, http://www.aruplab.com/genetics/resources/patient-history.
- Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 48 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable
See Compliance Statement C: www.aruplab.com/CS
Counseling and informed consent are recommended for genetic testing. Consent forms are available online.
A processing fee will be charged if this procedure is canceled at the client's request, after the test has been set up, or if the specimen integrity is inadequate to allow culture growth.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0097645||Chromosome Analysis, Prod Concp|
|2002206||EER Chromosome Analysis, Prod Concp|
- Autopsy (ONLY if Chromosomes are indicated)
- Chromosome Analysis, Stillbirth or Miscarriage
- intrauterine fetal demise
- Karyotype, Stillbirth or Miscarriage
- missed abortion
- Pregnancy loss
- Spontaneous abortion