- Patient Preparation
- Specimens analyzed to determine the efficacy of treatment should be collected three to four weeks after completion of therapy. Antibiotics may affect results of exam.
- Stool. Recommended collection: 3 separate stool specimens within a 10-day period (an individual order must be submitted for each specimen).
- Specimen Preparation
- Preserve 2 g of stool in AlcorFix (ARUP Supply #52059) within one hour of collection (Min: 1 g). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. Additional specimen collection instructions can be found at https://www.aruplab.com/parasep. Preserving in 10 percent formalin and modified PVA is also acceptable.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Rectal swabs. Multiple specimens (more than one in 24 hours). Unpreserved specimens. Specimens containing barium, oil, or urine.
- Indicate suspected parasites.
- Ambient: 9 months; Refrigerated: 9 months; Frozen: Unacceptable
Due to the various shedding cycles of many parasites, three separate stool specimens collected over a 10-day period are recommended for ova and parasite examination. A single negative result does not rule out the possibility of a parasitic infection. Stool antigen testing is the optimal test method for determining the parasitic presence of Giardia, Cryptosporidium spp, or Entamoeba histolytica. The ova and parasite exam does not specifically detect Cryptosporidium, Cyclospora, Cystoisospora, and Microsporidia. For Cryptosporidium, refer to Cryptosporidium Antigen by EIA (ARUP test code 0060045). For Cyclospora and Cystoisospora, refer to Parasitology Stain by Modified Acid-Fast (ARUP test code 0060046). For Microsporidia, refer to Microsporidia Stain (ARUP test code 0060050).
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2002274||Ova and Parasite, Trichrome Stain||43227-8|
|2002275||Ova and Parasite, Wet Mount||10704-5|
- Parasitic Exam
- Chlonorchis sinensis
- Eggs or Cysts
- Giardia Exam
- Isospora, Isospora belli, Cystoisospora
- O and P
- Opisthorchis sinensis
- Parasitic examination, stool
- parasitic worms
- Parasitology Examination
- S. haematobium
- S. japonicum
- Schistosoma mansoni