Functional testing of red blood cell sensitivity to osmotic stress; do not use to distinguish between spherocytes in hereditary spherocytosis and acquired autoimmune hemolytic anemia.
- Patient Preparation
- Green (sodium or lithium heparin) or Lavender (EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 2 unfixed, air-dried, and unstained smears to accompany the collected blood (smears should be made from the blood submitted) (Min: 2 smears). AND 5 mL whole blood (Min: 1 mL). Specimens should be refrigerated within 30 minutes after collection..
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Grossly hemolyzed specimens.
- Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 72 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2002142||EER Osmotic Fragility||11526-1|
- FRAGILITY, OSMOTIC (RBC)
- Osmotic Fragility
- RBC Fragility, Erythrocytes
- Red Cell Fragility
- Spherocytic Hemolytic Disease