- Patient Preparation
- Fetal Specimen: Two T-25 flasks at 80% confluent of cultured amniocytes. If the client is unable to culture amniocytes, this can be arranged by contacting ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
Maternal Specimen: Lavender (EDTA) or yellow (ACD Solution A or B).
- Specimen Preparation
- Cultured amniocytes: Fill flasks with culture media. Transport two T-25 flasks at 80% confluent of cultured amniocytes. Backup cultures must be retained at the client's institution until testing is complete.
Maternal Specimen: Transport 3 mL whole blood.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Cultured amniocytes: CRITICAL ROOM TEMPERATURE. Must be received within 48 hours of shipment due to lability of cells.
Maternal Specimen: Room temperature. Ship with the fetal specimen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Maternal sample is recommended for proper test interpretation; order Maternal Cell Contamination. Patient History Form is available on the ARUP Web site or by contacting ARUP Client Services.
- Fetal: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
Maternal: Ambient: 72 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: Unacceptable
Characteristics: Chronic sino-pulmonary disease, gastrointestinal malabsorption/pancreatic insufficiency, and obstructive azoospermia. Findings are often limited to a single organ system such as isolated pancreatitis, bilateral absence of the vas deferens, nasal polyposis, or bronchiectasis in non-classic cystic fibrosis (CF).
Incidence: 1 in 3,000 Caucasians or Ashkenazi Jewish, 1 in 8,000 Hispanics, 1 in 15,000 African Americans, 1 in 32,000 Asians.
Inheritance: Autosomal recessive.
Penetrance: High for severe mutations, variable for mild mutations.
Cause: Two CFTR mutations on opposite chromosomes.
Mutations Tested: G85E (c.254G>A), R117H (c.350G>A), R334W (c.1000C>T), R347P (c.1040G>C), R347H (c.1040G>A), 394delTT (c.262_263delTT), A455E (c.1364C>A), I507del (c.1519_1521delATC), F508del (c.1521_1523delCTT), V520F (c.1558G>T), G542X (c.1624G>T), S549N (c.1646G>A), S549R (c.1647T>G), G551D (c.1652G>A), R553X (c.1657C>T), R560T (c.1679G>C), 621+1G>T (c.489+1G>T), 711+1G>T (c.579+1G>T), 1078delT (c.948delT), R1162X (c.3484C>T), W1282X (c.3846G>A), N1303K (c.3909C>G), 1717-1G>A (c.1585-1G>A), 1898+1G>A (c.1766+1G>A), 2183AA>G (c.2051_2052delAAinsG), 2184delA (c.2052delA), 2789+5G>A (c.2657+5G>A), 3120+1G>A (c.2988+1G>A), 3659delC (c.3528delC), 3849+10kbC>T (c.3717+12191C>T), 3876delA (c.3744delA), 3905insT (c.3773_3774insT). For specimens positive for R117H, the IVS-8/poly T (c.1210-12T[5_9] is analyzed. The mutations tested are listed above according to the legacy nomenclature; the standard nomenclature is listed in parentheses. Panel mutations are reported according to the legacy nomenclature.
Clinical Sensitivity: Ashkenazi Jewish 94 percent; Caucasian 89 percent; Hispanic 73 percent; African American 65 percent; Asian American 55 percent.
Methodology: PCR, oligonucleotide ligation assay (OLA), fluorescent hybridization probes, and capillary electrophoresis.
Analytical Sensitivity & Specificity: 99 percent.
Limitations: Diagnostic errors can occur due to rare sequence variations. Only the 32 CFTR mutations listed above will be interrogated.
For quality assurance purposes, ARUP Laboratories will confirm the above result at no charge following delivery. Order Confirmation of Fetal Testing and include a copy of the original fetal report (or the mother's name and date of birth) with the test submission. Please contact an ARUP genetic counselor at (800) 242-2787 extension 2141 prior to specimen submission.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0050548||Maternal Contamination Study Fetal Spec||31208-2|
|0050612||Maternal Contam Study, Maternal Spec||31208-2|
|0056030||Cystic Fibrosis Mutation 1||42938-1|
|0056032||Cystic Fibrosis Mutation 2||42939-9|
|2002130||Cystic Fibrosis Panel Interpretation||38404-0|
- Fetal CF screening test