CDC first-line tests for pertussis are PCR (0065080
) and/or culture (0060117
). However, if serology is used to assess late-stage pertussis, this is the recommended test.
Semi-Quantitative Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay/Qualitative Immunoblot
Specimens from New York clients will be sent out to a New York DOH approved laboratory, if possible.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.3 mL) Parallel testing is preferred, and convalescent specimens must be received within 30 days from receipt of the acute specimens. Mark specimens plainly as "acute" or "convalescent."
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Contaminated, heat-inactivated, or severely lipemic specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
| ||Bordetella pertussis Antibody, IgA by ELISA with Reflex to Immunoblot
|Bordetella pertussis Antibody, IgA by ELISA
||0.9 U/mL or less: Negative - No significant level of detectable Bordetella pertussis IgA antibody.|
1.0-1.1 U/mL: Equivocal - Repeat testing in 10-14 days may be helpful.
1.2 U/mL or greater: Positive - IgA antibody to Bordetella pertussis detected, which may indicate a current or past exposure/immunization to B. pertussis.
|Bordetella pertussis Antibody, IgA by Immunoblot
|2001768||Bordetella pertussis Antibody, IgG by ELISA with Reflex to Immunoblot
| ||Bordetella pertussis Antibody IgG by ELISA
||Effective August 19, 2013|
|2004327||Bordetella pertussis Antibody, IgG by Immunoblot
||Refer to report|
If Bordetella pertussis Antibody, IgA by ELISA is 1.2 U/mL or greater, then Bordetella pertussis IgA Immunoblot testing will be added; if Bordetella pertussis Antibody, IgG by ELISA is 1.0 U/mL or greater, then Bordetella pertussis IgG Immunoblot testing will be added. Additional charges apply.
86615 x2; if reflexed, add 86615 for each Immunoblot
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|2001770||B. pertussis Ab, IgA by ELISA|
|2001782||B. pertussis Ab, IgG by ELISA|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, please click the sidebar link to access the Interface Map.
- B. pertussis Abs panel reflex
- Pertussis Antibody
- Pertussis IgA and IgG Abs reflex to immunoblot