Evaluation of IgM pertussis antibodies has little clinical utility. CDC first-line tests for pertussis are PCR (0065080
) and/or culture (0060117
Semi-Quantitative Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay/Qualitative Immunoblot
Specimens from New York clients will be sent out to a New York DOH approved laboratory.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.1 mL) Parallel testing is preferred and convalescent specimens must be received within 30 days from receipt of the acute specimens. Mark specimens plainly as "acute" or "convalescent."
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Contaminated, heat-inactivated, or severely lipemic specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
| ||Bordetella pertussis Antibody, IgM by ELISA
||0.9 U/mL or less: Negative - No significant level of detectable Bordetella pertussis IgM antibody.|
1.0-1.1 U/mL: Equivocal - Repeat testing in 10-14 days may be helpful.
1.2 U/mL or greater: Positive - IgM antibody to Bordetella pertussis detected, which may indicate a current or recent exposure/immunization to B. pertussis.
|2004326||Bordetella pertussis Antibody, IgM by Immunoblot
|Bordetella pertussis Antibody, IgM by Immunoblot
|Effective February 19, 2013
|Bordetella pertussis Ab, IgM by Immunoblot Interp
|B. pertussis, IgM Immunoblot PT
|B. pertussis, IgM Immunoblot FHA
Recommend that treatment decisions be based on the result of the B. pertussis IgM immunoblot test instead of the ELISA test. B. pertussis IgM test by ELISA may produce false-positive results.
If Bordetella pertussis Antibody, IgM by ELISA is 1.2 U/mL or greater, then Bordetella pertussis IgM Immunoblot testing will be added. Additional charges apply.
86615 Bordetella IgM; if reflexed add 86615 for Bordetella IgM Immunoblot
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|2001783||B. pertussis Ab, IgM by ELISA|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, contact interface support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pertussis Antibody (Bordetella pertussis Antibody, IgM by ELISA with Reflex to Immunoblot)
- Whooping Cough (Bordetella pertussis Antibody, IgM by ELISA with Reflex to Immunoblot)