- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube. Also acceptable: Plain red.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.15 mL) Parallel testing is preferred and convalescent specimens must be received within 30 days from receipt of acute specimens. Mark specimens plainly as "acute" or "convalescent."
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Plasma. Contaminated, heat-inactivated, hemolyzed, or severely lipemic specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|0098732||St. Louis Encephalitis Antibody, IgM by IFA, Serum||Less than 1:16|
|0098731||California Encephalitis Antibody, IgM by IFA, Serum||Less than 1:16|
|0098733||Eastern Equine Encephalitis Antibody, IgM by IFA, Serum||Less than 1:16|
|0098734||Western Equine Encephalitis Antibody, IgM by IFA, Serum||Less than 1:16|
|0050236||West Nile Virus Antibody, IgM by ELISA, Serum||0.89 IV or less: Negative - No significant level of West Nile virus IgM antibody detected.|
0.90-1.10 IV: Equivocal - Questionable presence of West Nile virus IgM antibody detected. Repeat testing in 10-14 days may be helpful.
1.11 IV or greater: Positive - Presence of IgM antibody to West Nile virus detected, suggestive of current or recent infection.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0050236||West Nile Virus Ab, IgM, Ser|
|0098731||California Encephalitis IgM|
|0098732||St. Louis Encephalitis Ab, IgM, Serum|
|0098733||Eastern Equine Enceph Ab, IgM|
|0098734||Western Equine Enceph Ab, IgM, Ser|