Not recommended. The combined aldosterone/renin tests are preferred when screening for hyperaldosteronism. Refer to Aldosterone/Renin Activity Ratio (0070073) or Aldosterone and Renin, Direct with Ratio (2002582).
Menstruating females and those taking estrogen-containing medications may have lower renin direct concentrations, resulting in falsely high ARR. In these cases, order Aldosterone/Renin Activity Ratio (0070073).
- Patient Preparation
- Normal sodium diet (100-200 mEq/day) for at least three days. Receiving no medications known to affect renin-aldosterone system.
Supine: Specimen should be obtained between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. (after at least two hours in supine position).
Upright: Specimen should be obtained before noon (after at least two hours in upright position; seated or standing).
Contact Medical Director if more information is needed.
- From either a supine or upright patient, Lavender (EDTA) or Pink (K2EDTA). Do not collect in refrigerated tubes.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 2 mL plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube and freeze immediately. (Min: 1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- CRITICAL FROZEN. Separate specimens must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Serum. Specimens collected in citrate, heparin, or oxalate. Hemolyzed specimens.
- Ambient: 4 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: 4 weeks
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- Direct Renin