Preferred reflexive panel for diagnosing myasthenia gravis. Panel contains binding, blocking, and modulating antibodies.
Quantitative Radioimmunoassay/Semi-Quantitative Flow Cytometry
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Contaminated, hemolyzed, or severely lipemic specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 2 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
|0080009||Acetylcholine Receptor Binding Antibody
||Negative: 0.0-0.4 nmol/L|
Positive: 0.5 nmol/L or greater
|0099580||Acetylcholine Receptor Blocking Antibody
||Effective November 18, 2013
||42% or greater blocking
|0099521||Acetylcholine Receptor Modulating Antibody
||Negative: 0-45% modulating|
Positive: 46% or greater modulating
Effective August 20, 2012
Approximately 85-90 percent of patients with myasthenia gravis (MG) express antibodies to the acetylcholine receptor (AChR), which can be divided into binding, blocking, and modulating antibodies. Binding antibody can activate complement and lead to loss of AChR. Blocking antibody may impair binding of acetylcholine to the receptor, leading to poor muscle contraction. Modulating antibody causes receptor endocytosis resulting in loss of AChR expression, which correlates most closely with clinical severity of disease. Approximately 10-15 percent of individuals with confirmed myasthenia gravis have no measurable binding, blocking, or modulating antibodies.
See Compliance Statement B: www.aruplab.com/CS
If Acetylcholine Receptor Binding Antibody result is greater than 0.4 nmol/L or Acetylcholine Receptor Blocking Antibody result is greater than 26 percent, then Acetylcholine Receptor Modulating Antibody (ARUP test code 0099521) will be added. Additional charges apply.
83519; 83516; if reflexed, add 83516
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0080009||Acetylcholine Binding Antibody|
|0099580||Acetylcholine Blocking Antibody|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, contact interface support at email@example.com.
- AChR Antibody
- AChR reflex panel
- Muscle nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor (AChR) Binding Antibody
- Myasthenia Gravis Antibodies
- Myasthenia Gravis Antibodies Reflex