Detects common respiratory viruses. Offers improved turnaround time over respiratory viral culture. Molecular methods may offer improved sensitivity.
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Respiratory specimen: Bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL), nasopharyngeal aspirate, swab, or washing, or tracheal aspirate.
- Specimen Preparation
- Fluid: Transfer specimen to a sterile container. Also acceptable: Transfer to viral transport media (ARUP Supply #12884). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
Swab: Place in viral transport media.
Place each specimen in a separate, individually sealed bag.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Calcium alginate, eSwab, dry, or wood swabs. Slides.
- Specimen source preferred.
- Ambient: 2 hours; Refrigerated: 72 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable
Culture negative for respiratory viruses.
The respiratory viruses that can be isolated by this culture include: adenovirus; influenza A and B; parainfluenza types 1, 2, 3; and RSV. Other viruses (such as HSV, CMV, and human metapneumovirus) will not be routinely detected in this culture. This test has decreased sensitivity for detection of adenovirus.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|2001504||Culture, Respiratory Virus Rapid|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, contact interface support at email@example.com.
- adenovirus culture
- influenza A & B culture
- parainfluenza types 1, 2, 3 culture
- Respiratory virus Culture
- RSV culture
- Viral Culture, Rapid Respiratory