Respiratory Viruses Rapid Culture
Detects common respiratory viruses. Offers improved turnaround time over respiratory viral culture. Molecular methods may offer improved sensitivity.
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Respiratory specimen: Bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL), nasopharyngeal aspirate, swab, or washing, or tracheal aspirate.
- Specimen Preparation
- Fluid: Transfer specimen to a sterile container. Also acceptable: Transfer to viral transport media (ARUP Supply #12884). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
Swab: Place in viral transport media.
Place each specimen in a separate, individually sealed bag.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Calcium alginate, eSwab, dry, or wood swabs. Slides.
- Specimen source preferred.
- Ambient: 2 hours; Refrigerated: 72 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable
Culture negative for respiratory viruses.
The respiratory viruses that can be isolated by this culture include: adenovirus; influenza A and B; parainfluenza types 1, 2, 3; and RSV. Other viruses (such as HSV, CMV, and human metapneumovirus) will not be routinely detected in this culture. This test has decreased sensitivity for detection of adenovirus.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|2001504||Culture, Respiratory Virus Rapid|
- Viral Culture, Rapid Respiratory (Respiratory Viruses Rapid Culture)