- Patient Preparation
- 1. For premenopausal patients, obtain specimens during the second half of the menstrual period to avoid contamination by obscuring blood.
2. Instruct the patient not to douche or engage in sexual intercourse within 24 hours of the procedure.
- 1. Label the vial(s) with the patient's first and last name, date of birth, and specimen source before beginning the procedure.
2. Obtain all specimens prior to bimanual examination.
3. Place the patient in the lithotomy position. Using an unlubricated vaginal speculum (saline may be used as a lubricant) visualize the cervix as fully as possible.
4. Follow the instructions for the specific collection kit and device used.
Supplies: This test requires a ThinPrep® Pap Test collection kit, which may be ordered separately through ARUP Client Services (800) 522-2787 or (801) 583-2787. Also required: ARUP Cytology test request form and a permanent marker.
Collection Procedure: After visualization of the cervix is accomplished, collect the sample. Obtain an adequate sampling from the cervix using a broom-type (e.g., Wallach) collection device or endocervical brush/plastic spatula combination.
BROOM (Kit 12587): Insert the central bristles of the broom into the endocervical canal deep enough to allow the shorter bristles to fully contact the ectocervix. Push gently, and rotate the broom in a clockwise direction five times. Rinse the broom-type collection device as quickly as possible into the PreservCyt® Solution vial by pushing the broom into the bottom of the vial 10 times, forcing the bristles apart. As a final step, swirl the collection device vigorously to further release material. Discard the collection device.
BRUSH/SPATULA (Kit 40624): Obtain an adequate sampling from the ectocervix using a plastic spatula. Rinse the spatula as quickly as possible into the PreservCyt® Solution vial by swirling the spatula vigorously in the vial 10 times. Discard the spatula. Insert the brush into the cervix until only the bottom most fibers are exposed. Slowly rotate or turn one-half turn in one direction. DO NOT OVER-ROTATE. Rinse the brush as quickly as possible in the PreservCyt® Solution by rotating the device in the solution while pushing against the vial wall. Swirl the brush vigorously to further release material. Discard the brush.
For all kits, tighten the cap so the torque line on the cap passes the torque line on the vial. Record the patient's information and medical history on the ARUP Cytology test request form. Place the vial and test request form in a specimen bag for transport to the laboratory.
- Specimen Preparation
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Frozen specimens, Specimens not collected in a ThinPrep® Pap Test collection kit or specimens submitted in an expired collection kit
- Ambient: 3 weeks; Refrigerated; 3 weeks; Frozen; Unacceptable
Store PreservCyt® Solution without cytologic samples at 15°C to 30°C in the vials provided. Do not use solution beyond expiration date marked on the vial.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2000542||ThinPrep Pap Specimen Source|
- Pap Test
- ThinPrep Pap and HPV HR E6/E7