This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA) or pink (K2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 3 mL whole blood. (Min: 1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Body fluid other than EDTA preserved whole blood. Clotted specimens.
- Ambient: 4 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 1 month
Porphobilinogen (PBG) deaminase (hydroxymethylbilane synthase or uroporphyrinogen I synthase) is expressed in units of mU per gram hemoglobin at 37°C. In persons genetically susceptible to acute intermittent porphyria (AIP), PBG deaminase concentrations are approximately half of reference values. Normal concentrations of erythrocyte PBG deaminase may include abnormal forms of hepatic PBG deaminase.
This test is most useful for family studies to determine which family members are at risk for acute intermittent porphyria and is best performed in association with a specimen from the proband. Because of ambiguous results, this test is not generally recommended for diagnosis.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0099550||Porphobilinogen Deaminase Rbc|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, contact interface support at email@example.com.
- Acute Intermittent Porphyria Enzyme (Porphobilinogen (PBG) Deaminase, Erythrocyte)
- Hydroxymethylbilane Synthase (Porphobilinogen (PBG) Deaminase, Erythrocyte)
- Porphyria Enzyme (Porphobilinogen (PBG) Deaminase, Erythrocyte)
- Uroporphyrinogen I Synthase (Porphobilinogen (PBG) Deaminase, Erythrocyte)