Specimen Collection and Handling
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patient should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, and non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician), and avoid shellfish and seafood for 48 to 72 hours.
- Royal blue (K2EDTA or Na2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 7 mL whole blood in the original collection tube. (Min: 1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Also acceptable: Refrigerated.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Heparin anticoagulant. Frozen specimens.
- Trace Elements requisition form may be required (ARUP form #32990).
- Mercury is volatile; concentration may reduce after seven or more days of storage.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- Hg WB