Serum aluminum may be useful in the assessment of aluminum toxicity due to dialysis and is the preferred test for routine screening. For chronic exposure, aluminum in urine (0099408) is preferred.
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patient should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, and non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician).
- Royal blue (no additives)
- Specimen Preparation
- Centrifuge; do not allow serum to remain on cells. Transfer 2 mL serum to an ARUP Trace Element-Free Transport Tube (ARUP supply #43116). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Also acceptable: Refrigerated or frozen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Plasma. Separator tubes. Specimens that are not separated from the red cells or clot within 6 hours.
- If the specimen is drawn and stored in the appropriate container, the trace element values do not change with time.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- Al, Serum
- Al, Serum
- Aluminum, serum