- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patient should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, and non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician) and avoid shellfish and seafood for 48 to 72 hours.
- Royal blue (K2EDTA or Na2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 7 mL whole blood in the original collection tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Also acceptable: Refrigerated.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Heparin anticoagulant. Frozen specimens.
- Trace Elements requisition form may be required (ARUP form #32990).
- If the specimen is drawn and stored in the appropriate container, the trace element values do not change with time.
Blood arsenic is for the detection of recent exposure poisoning only. Blood arsenic levels in healthy subjects vary considerably with exposure to arsenic in the diet and the environment. A 24-hour urine arsenic is useful for the detection of chronic exposure.
See Compliance Statement B: www.aruplab.com/CS
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- As (Arsenic, Blood)
- ASB (Arsenic, Blood)